Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hi, my name is crazy pump lady, Flo! I like coffee.

So I've come to the conclusion that whoever came up with the idea long long ago to take some coffee beans and put them to good use, must have had a diabetic child. Coffee is my new best friend since Emma started pumping yesterday...ok, well I guess the pump is my new best friend (Emma has named it Jumanji by the way...she LOVES that movie huge amounts)...but coffee definitely comes in a close second. We had a fairly good first day on the pump...a couple of lows and a stubborn night time high...but we just keep plugging along...moving forward...adjusting and learning...not sleeping (me) and sleeping (her!).
I thought I would share some funny and not so funny things that have happened due to my lack of sleep and general craziness. First off, after getting roughly 4 hours of sleep, I had zero trouble waking up on time this morning....she wasn't late to school...I didn't sleep through the alarm...nothing...I was on time. How in the world does that make sense? There have been countless times where I sleep in and make her late for school after having my usual 6 hours sleep a night. I'm confused. Also, I find myself being overly nice and friendly to people today. I have been to a couple of coffee shops, a pharmacy, insurance office, and Emma's school....I keep walking in with a big cheesy grin on my face saying things like, "Good morning!! How are you? That is THE most adorable shirt you are wearing today! Love it!!" Not that I am normally a grouchy mean person, but I seem to be taking things to the extreme today. This afternoon, I stood in the kitchen for about 15 minutes trying to remember where I keep the container of sugar so I could put some in my coffee. I filled the cat's food dish with treats instead of actual food (cat thought it was Christmas morning or something I think!). It took me about 10 tries (trys?) to figure out how to put my bra on this morning. I find myself suddenly bursting into song while driving...even when the radio is not on. Good times.
Yesterday I joked around saying that I would probably be acting like a crazy pump lady today...muttering to myself things like "pumps, errrrr....blood sugars....mmmhhmmm...ketones....urrrr...basal.....uggghhhh...bolus" I even decided to name my alter-ego crazy pump lady....I decided on Florence...or Flo for short. LOL!! Apparantly diabetes has now given me multiple personalities....ahhhh....whatever gets me through this crazy time though I suppose. So, my hats off to all of you who have done this already...you are amazing in my eyes! Thank you all for the support too...I seriously don't know what I would do without you!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Flo! Ride the caffeine and adrenaline roller coaster, baby!!
    We'll all keep you company on the funny farm when it's our day to check in!! There's always a few of us there on any particular day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get it! (Should I be scared? lol) You're in a good mood because, hello! You've made a HUGE move for the better health of your daughter! Being nice to everyone is a direct result of that good mood,,, and a diversion! The more you ramble on, give compliments, the less you think about missing sleep! Keep wearing that big, cheesy grin. You've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Flo!!! :) I don't think she's crazy. She's just a loving mom, who's on a pancreatic high! :)

    ReplyDelete