Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Yelling at the TV

Emma has told me many times over the years that she doesn't do well with change. I've always thought it was kind of funny coming out of a little kid's mouth. Well, I am starting to realize that I myself do not like change so much anymore either! I mean I suppose no one really likes change...but we learn to deal with it. I think diabetes has made me dislike change even more though. I find myself cursing the weather man if he says that this afternoon will be sunny and mild....but tomorrow will be bitterly cold and overcast with a chance of snow. I find myself yelling at the tv and shaking my fist at him because of the huge change in weather that will be happening because I know how much the weather affects Emma's blood sugars.Poor weather man...it's not his fault I guess...it's not like he's the one who makes it cold or hot! Anyway, I also find myself trying to mimic what goes on during a school day on the weekends too. I'm not talking about actually sitting Emma down and teaching her math and reading or something. I just mean I feel like I am trying to hang on to the time schedule of things..eating...activity, etc of what goes on during the week at school. It's hard though! Things come up on the weekends and I feel like I am trying to hang on to that schedule by the tips of my fingers in the hopes that her blood sugars will be the same as they are during the week.
I also learned recently that our hero and angel and friend from the diabetes clinic will be going on maternity leave in March for an entire year. (Yes folks...in Canada the govt. allows you to take a full year off when you have a baby! With your job guaranteed when that year is up and you also get a certain percentage of your regular pay each week as well!) I am beyond excited and happy for her and her husband!! She will be a fantastic mom and I can't wait to see the baby!! However, I am a little nervous for that change...a little nervous that my reliable resourceful angel will not be on the other end of the phone for an entire year. I know that I can do it on my own. I know that I will be able to talk to her temporary replacement when needed. I know all of these things...but it still makes me a tad nervous for the change. We will survive though and everything will be fine. I am so lucky to have a friend in her as well...such a great woman!!
Anyway, I guess I better just "Man Up!" as Emma would say and learn to live with the fact that life is constantly changing. Things happen and i just need to accept that fact and accept that they are going to affect her blood sugar. Great...now I have that song from "Shrek" stuck in my head! You know the one...."Ch ch ch changes!"...the David Bowie song. That's alright...could be worse I suppose! At least for this particular moment in time the sun is shining and we are happy. What more could I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment