Saturday, December 18, 2010

Wait...who's the diabetic here again??

I know I've been talking about being tired lately and not getting enough sleep and blah blah blah...all of you reading this who deal with diabetes every day can certainly relate I am sure. So, I will try to refrain from taking a "complaining" stance on it again in this post...I do though want to share something hilarious that I just did! I was sitting here watching a movie and it came time for me to check Emma's blood sugar while she is upstairs in bed asleep. So, I got up and went to the kitchen...got the meter, lancet, and everything else and carried it upstairs with the intent of checking her. I have done this every single night for the past 2 and a half years. Well, in our house Emma's bedroom is at the top of the stairs and the bedroom my husband and I have is to the left of her room. So anyway, I walked up the stairs, turned left into our room, walked over to my husband who was asleep in bed and went to reach out and grab his hand to check his blood sugar. yea....i clued in just as I was reaching over, that I was in the wrong room...grabbing the wrong persons hand. I quietly tiptoed backwards out the door and made an about face and went to check the blood sugar of the actual diabetic in the house. LOL! I can't believe I did that! Apparantly my limit of not getting enough sleep every night is 2 years, 5 months, and 22 days (give or take). In doing this, it brought back a lot of memories of other stupid things I have done over the years that were a direct result of little sleep...so I thought I would share and we could have a little laugh together at my expense!
One day I went to return a couple movies to Blockbuster and wound up only returning the cases! The actual DVD's were back at home in my daughters DVD player and the XBOX in the living room. So, I went home with the intent of getting actual DVD's to put in the case and bring back again. Instead, I grabbed the DVD's, put them in the case, set them on the table, and drove back to Blockbuster again only to find I had left them on the table. yea...3 trips in one day just to bring back some movies.
There have also been countless other times where I go to Tim Horton's (coffee shop for all my American friends) drive-thru and pay for my coffee and drive away before waiting for them to give it to me. Yea...I just felt like driving thru and giving the good folks at Tim Hortons some money...just cause I'm nice like that!
I've done things like put the milk in the cupboard and the cookies in the fridge. I've left the house to bring her to school wearing my winter hat on my head and flip flops on my feet. Ahhh I could go on and on....
In any case, diabetes related sleep stories can be frustrating, stressful, and make you feel like you are losing your marbles sometimes. However much I WANT it, if I were to actually get 8 hours straight sleep every night...I think life would be a little boring. I am not a fan of boring.

1 comment:

  1. LOL...so glad I am not the only one doing crazy things!
    I have even tested the wrong son before! (whoever sticks out a finger gets poked and they were sitting next to each other, easy mistake...?)

    ReplyDelete