Friday, December 24, 2010

Full circle Christmas

Well, here we are Christmas Eve...I am so glad that Emma is feeling better. She is SO excited though about tomorrow that she has now had over 50 carbs since she went to bed 2 1/2 hours ago and her blood sugar is hovering between 3 and 5.....ugh...i wish we could catch a break! I am not going to let it get me down though...I am excited for her...I can not wait to see the look on her face when she wakes up in the morning!! During our lives there are so many different stages we go through. I love seeing how this time of year has sort of come full circle for me. When i was little I loved Christmas just like every other kid out there. It was always an extra special time of year for us because my Grandpa's birthday is on Christmas Eve as well. He would have been 87 today. I have so many wonderful memories of our family getting together at our house...eating turkey dinner, talking and laughing, just being together. We always got to open the presents that our Aunts and Uncles gave us that night too which was very cool for such an impatient kid like me. I remember trying to go to sleep that night listening to my family talking and laughing in the living room and kitchen. The house smelled so good...like cookies and treats and coffee. I would lay there all warm and cozy with butterflies in my stomach thinking that I would never be able to fall asleep. Life was perfect and sweet and simple.
Then I grew into a teenager and it sort of lost all the magic and joy. I was too wrapped up in my friends and figuring out who I was to really even care too much about what Christmas really meant. I'm sure this is true of most people really.
Finally once I became a "grownup" and had Emma...the magic came back. I actually am truly excited for tomorrow. I have the butterflies in my stomach again and I am sure I will have trouble falling asleep too. I get to see the joy through her eyes now. I get to hear her squeal with excitement and see her face light up. I have to say that this stage in my life is even better than when I was experiencing the joy of Christmas and Santa for myself as a kid. It's sweeter this time around. It means more to me I think because I get to experience it and see it with her. I've said it many many times before, but I will say it again...Emma teaches me so much...she shows me what is important...she makes me happy. When all is said and done...that is really all that matters I think. Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment: