Friday, October 8, 2010

barbies vs. DNA experiments

So I just looked on here and in less than a month I have had over 300 views of my little blog here. WOW! When I write these, I never really think that anyone will read them...i just like to get it all out of my head so I can think straight again. I really appreciate the fact that you all are taking the time to read my ramblings. I hope that at least something I've babbled on about has been something that you could relate to. That's one thing I've learned since diabetes...it's so comforting to know that you aren't alone out there.
Anyway, I just wanted to take a minute today to talk about how most of the diabetic kids that I have met (my daughter included) seem to be a lot more mature than non-diabetic kids. I haven't quite decided yet if this is a good thing or a bad thing in the case of my daughter. On the one hand, it's nice because I feel like I can trust her to be a bit more responsible than I normally would have. However, the maturity level also brings some scary things into our household. Emma loves to wear makeup and walk around pretending she is a model...which is all fine and good and honestly makes me laugh. But I do often wonder if this is a normal 6 yr old girl thing or if this is because she has had to go thru a lot more 'grownup' things because of diabetes and has a more mature aspect to her behaviour? She also has taken to making her own 'science DNA experiments' in the front yard...not sure how it all works, but it involves dirt, water, leaves, sticks, and sometimes a blood sugar test strip...lol. Sometimes I forget that I am actually talking to someone who is only 6...because she has such a huge vocabulary and understands things and words just as well as someone my own age. She has told me that she wants me to start giving her a 'word of the day' and it has to be a BIG word...so we started off yesterday with 'preferences' and today is 'determination'. I think this is an awesome idea...and of course I am going to do it for her...but in the back of my mind I wonder, why is it that my daughter doesn't just want to be playing barbies and sing the alphabet song? I know that she is a smart girl and I am glad that she is the way she is....believe me i wouldn't have it any other way and I am so proud of her! I'm just curious though if part or all of the reason why she is so mature and seems beyond her years is in fact because of diabetes? I don't know...i think i ask myself too many questions that I know will not have an answer. I just hope that I am smart enough to be able to challenge her and make sure she isn't bored. In the meantime, i guess there's no harm in becoming 'models' and talking about photosynthesis with my kid...lolol

No comments:

Post a Comment