Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Dad

Seeing as how today is Father's Day, I've been sitting here thinking about how lucky I am in the Dad department. When I was a little girl, I believed that my Dad was the strongest, most brave, and smartest man in the world. I knew that if I ever had a problem with homework, my car, stress about life in general , I could also count on my Dad to be there for me. He always knew how to fix things. To me it seemed like he knew everything. One particular memory of my Dad that I wanted to share is from way back when i was probably around 5 or 6 years old. It was Halloween and my family decided to make a trip to the pumpkin patch and pick out our pumpkins for the holiday and check out some of the cool looking displays set up. My brother had his mind set on walking through the "Haunted Bus"...I was a big chicken though and the thought of joining him just made me tense up and brought tears to my eyes. I remember walking along the hay strewn path looking at Halloween displays like Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin. I was holding my Dad's hand as we walked. I remember looking at his giant hand holding onto mine. It felt safe and comforting. It felt strong and warm to my little hand. As we walked along, my Dad was actually swinging his other hand at his side. All of the sudden a bee flew by and stung him in his hand. My Dad simply shook his hand for a second and continued on down the path like nothing had happened. I stood there next to him completely amazed. I knew for certain right then and there that my Dad was amazing. I was beyond impressed that he wasn't standing there crying or holding his stung hand. I remember looking way up at him (my Dad is a big man) with awe and admiration in my eyes. That was the first time in my life that I knew my dad was my hero.
I still believe that my Dad is the strongest, bravest, and smartest man in the world. He may have a few more years under his belt now, but he is still my hero. He makes me feel like I can be a good person. When I talk to him about Emma's diabetes, he makes me feel like he is proud of me for doing a good job. He makes me feel like he really believes that I know what I am doing. He makes me feel like he trusts my judgement and knows in his heart that I will keep his grand daughter as healthy as possible. Because of my Dad, I feel like I am smart enough, brave enough, and strong enough to handle diabetes. For that I will forever be greatful.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post about your father...It is amazing how that image has stuck with you and how it cemented his strength and grandeur in your mind. Happy Father's day to your dad Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was totally bawling reading this late last night.
    My dad was similar in the 'big and strong' department and is/was totally one of my heroes. He fought brain cancer for over two years, but lost the war two and a half years ago. Today is tough, not just Father's Day, but my parent's anniversary.
    Thankfully I have had many happy memories today to bring a smile through the tears!

    ReplyDelete