Friday, December 20, 2013

Dear Children of Today

Dear children of today,

First of all, I'd like to say thank you for being so incredibly awesome. It can't be an easy thing to do when you are constantly bombarded with a media blitz of brightly coloured tech toys that make fantastic noises and teach you that the only way to happiness is to get to the next level. See, I grew up in a time of Saturday morning cartoons full of pastel coloured bears that taught me how to share, late summer nights playing kickball in my front yard with the neighbourhood kids that taught me how to lose with grace and win with good sportsmanship, and spending hours upon hours outside at friends houses...only coming home to grab a quick bite to eat before heading back out again which taught me independence. We had Christmas parties at school, cupcakes for the class with every birthday, and Halloween parties where I was actually allowed to wear my plastic Wonder Woman mask on my face and not have it be considered a hazard or a weapon. Cookie Monster actually ate cookies. Bert and Ernie had arguments...but they always got resolved and life carried on.

I want to tell you that I'm sorry. I'm sorry my generation has changed the world for you in certain ways that seem ridiculous. I'm sorry that we are teaching you that the world is full of instant gratification...instant acknowledgement...instant recognition. I'm sorry that we have taught you that everything you see on TV is going to corrupt you. You know what? Watching Cookie Monster stuffing a cookie in his face shouldn't be reason for you to grow up being nutritionally challenged. That big blue monster is not your parent...he's not the one you should base your food choices or eating habits on. WE should be the ones who teach you....US...your parents....not some furry monster on TV. See, some people my age have this tendency to want to pass the buck....place blame anywhere else that they can think of...deflect the root of the problem onto things that you may see...or hear...on TV, the radio, in books, at school. Some of us just can't accept the fact that these problems are our problems....it's our responsibility and ours alone to make sure that you know the truth. It's up to us to tell you that yes.....cookies aren't always the best choice for a snack...and it's not always good behaviour to just shove it in your mouth with crumbs flying everywhere as you shout "coooookie!" It's up to us to say no once in a while and hand you that banana instead...and teach you that it's fun to peel it and pretend like you're a gorilla while you eat it. It's up to us to teach you that sometimes a cookie or two is not going to hurt you. It's up to us....not TV...not anyone else...just us...your parents. It's up to us to teach you to put down the video game controller sometimes...and go outside for a game of kickball. It's up to us to teach you how to play kick the can, hide and seek, and red rover. It's our job....no one else's.

See, we have gotten lazy sometimes. We have created these devices...iPads and iPods....iPhones and blackberrys. We've created these things that make our lives easier...but also distract us from what is truly important.......

YOU

So, I want to apologize. You are incredible kids...smart kids...funny, kind, compassionate, and capable of greatness. If I may be so bold as to speak for my generation, I want you to know that we are trying our best...and we love you...we want you to be happy above all else. So, while you may see these ridiculous things we have changed in your world...please remember that we are trying...and we're bound to make mistakes along the way. Be patient with us and together we can get it right in the end....this I am certain of.

Sincerely,
Amy

1 comment:

  1. I think the apology is only necessary if we've abandoned our parenting. Every generation had new shiny stuff but every generation has also had parents

    ReplyDelete