Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Victoria's Secret commercials

So I was sitting here tonight watching TV with Emma before bedtime. It's sort of our routine really...our time to cuddle and talk...just be Mommy and Emma for a little while after all of the noise of the day is done. It's nice to just be together and enjoy the quiet...enjoy the normalcy of the moment. As the commercials interrupted what we were watching, I actually sat there and paid attention to them for once. Usually when I have the time to sit there and watch TV, I kind of zone out and don't even realize that I'm watching anything. I don't notice the car commericals or the Old Navy sales. I just lay there like broccoli (lol isn't that a line from 'Pretty Woman' or something? "lay there like broccoli") Well, tonight as I sat there with Emma, on came a Victoria's Secret commercial. Giving their most seductive come hither pouts were 3 gorgeous women in their underwear. Not the mismatched bra and panties that I throw on after I get out of the shower in the morning...er...afternoon sometimes., but rather the beautiful lacy pink or black satiny bra and panties that are saved for special occasions. These women were stunning...beautiful long flowing locks, makeup perfect, not an ounce of fat on their stomachs or thighs, no scars, no stretch marks, no wrinkles, no grey hairs, not a hair out of place actually. They looked perfect. I am quite sure they are the stuff that teenage boys dream about.
Well, it sort of hit me all at once......Emma was watching this. She was sitting there next to me watching these women. I felt this sick panicked feeling in my stomach and quickly tried to come up with the right words to say to her to make her realize that what she was seeing on the tv screen was NOT normal...it was NOT average...it was NOT real. I was scrambling trying to think of the right way to put it so she would understand and honestly believe me and not think that it was just another one of Mommy's overtired rambles.
So, I looked at her and simply said, "You know those women on TV are not what the majority of people look like out in the real world, right? Those women are models. They are paid to stand there in their undies and look pretty so that people like you and I will see them and want to buy what they are wearing so we can look pretty like them. There are actually very few people out there in the world beyond our front door that look even remotely close to them. I don't want you to think that what you see on TV is normal...because it's not."
She replied with, "I know Mommy. I know they don't really look like that in real life. I've never seen anyone outside or at the store that looks like them ever. Don't worry about me thinking that though, cause I don't give a care...I don't wanna look like them anway...I don't wanna have a job standing there in my undies...gross! And besides, you told me before that pretty comes from the inside. People can be pretty on the outside....but if they are mean on the inside....that comes out and makes them ugly anyway. So, I wanna be pretty on the inside."
Huh.......she does listen to and remember my rambles......and I think she is absolutely stunning...on the outside...AND on the inside.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! What a smart cookie you have there...and way to go mama for taking the time to ramble!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet and beautiful! Very heartwarming to hear her express that and really get it!

    ReplyDelete