Wednesday, November 13, 2013

What WDD means to me

Tomorrow is World Diabetes Day. It's a day to advocate...commemorate...celebrate...and honour the birthday of Sir Frederick Banting. I have seen countless posts online today from friends and members of my diabetes family. Posts lighting up my screen a beautiful heartwarming shade of blue.

Tomorrow means so much more to me than just wearing blue...or spreading awareness...or sharing my experiences in this life. (All things which i will still be doing.) Tomorrow is a day that makes me realize how lucky I am. It's a day that makes me realize how much all of the people in my life mean to me. My fellow D-Moms....my sisters in this life...the hands that hold me up...the smiles that heal my heartache...the spirits that ease my burden and help me to carry on. Tomorrow is a day for me to honour them...thank them...let them know just how much they mean to me and how much I appreciate what they do for all of our children. Tomorrow is a day to make sure they know....truly know that what they do matters and is noticed and appreciated. Tomorrow is a day to embrace them and look them in the eyes and let them feel the gratitude. It's a day to somehow find the words to let them know that I would be lost without them...that they are the sisters I never had and always wanted...that they are my heroes...that I admire their strength...their courage...their tenacity...their humour...their guidance, advice, kind words, knowing glances, simple yet silent hugs filled with understanding. Tomorrow is a day to make sure they believe in themselves. Tomorrow is a day to turn the mirror on them and let them see what I see when I look at them.

Tomorrow is a day to be thankful for all of my adult friends who have type 1. It's a day to let them know that their mere presence in my life is something I hold dear. I am blessed to have them in my daughters life. They are role models. They are friends. They are beautiful proof that this disease will not stop her. They are inspiring and I admire their incredible strength and am honoured to be a part of their families.

Tomorrow is a day to hug my daughter. It's a day to hold her close...breathe in her joy...her bravery...her laughter...and her love. It's a day to be greatful for the small moments...each ticking of the clock is a gift and sometimes life gets in the way and I forget that. Not tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a day of love for me. It's a day of gratitude.

Tomorrow is a day that matters to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment