Sunday, October 2, 2011

The morning after

After our crazy day full of diabetic shenanigans yesterday, I was left with sort of a blah numb feeling about it all. I was understandably stressed out and my nerves were shot.
This morning I woke up at 10:30 to the sound of Emma giggling about 2 inches from my face. I opened my eyes to see her smiling face and she immediately gave me a kiss and said "good morning Mommy!" Shawn had gotten up with her and did the pancreatic duties for the morning seeing as how didn't have to work this weekend. It was perfect. I felt rested. I felt happy. I felt loved. I have the best husband on the planet and the sweetest daughter around.
I made my way downstairs with Emma and the phone rang...it turned out to be the pharmacist, Lashen. I had gone there last night to return the box of defective insulin cartridges and get a brand new box to replace them. He was calling to check on us. He was calling to see how Emma was and to see if she was ok...he wanted to know how her blood sugars were today. Once again, I felt happy...I felt loved...I felt the warm fuzzies once again as I sat there holding the phone to my ear. I am always caught off guard when things like this happen. I was in awe...I was beyond greatful that this man who is of no relation to us...a man who has a very busy life of his very own full of his own kinds of stresses and worries and demands...this man took the first 5 minutes of his day at work to pick up the phone and call us...to make sure that my daughter was ok. Incredible. He is definitely one of those true, honest to goodness, caring souls out there in the world. He could have just as easily made a note to talk with us about what happened on the next time we happened to be in his store. He could have just brushed it off as an unfortunate occurance. He could have not even given it a second thought and just went on about his business of starting his work day....but he didn't...he called us.
I love being reminded that there really are people out there like this man. It's a good feeling and it makes me realize how lucky we are to have them in our lives. It makes living this diabetic life just a little bit more bearable...a little bit easier. It takes a little bit more of that weight off of my heavy heart in moments of panic. I'm greatful. We are lucky. Thank you Lashen for going above and beyond and treating us like human beings instead of just customers.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the sun is shining again! :)

    How lucky you are to have a pharmacist like him!

    ReplyDelete