Friday, July 22, 2011

Smurfs, my BFF meter, and a wide-eyed waitress

Funny thing happened at a restaurant today. We decided to go out to eat because the energy is just not there to cook because of this heat wave going on. Well, there we sat in Montana's waiting for our food. I don't know if you all are familiar with this restaurant or not, but basically it's like your typical steakhouse...there's lots of wood, animal heads hanging on the wall, (i know....ewww...I am not a big fan of the decor at all! Who am I to judge though? I sit her in my living room looking at an entire shelf filled with my husbands Lord of the Rings paraphernalia ((yes...I had to look that word up to spell it properly...lol...and oh look...i just did another one of my famous "thoughts within a thought within a thought"...lolol))) however, I digress. Anyhoo, Emma's favorite part of the place is the fact that they have paper on the tables that you can actually draw on. She has been on this Smurfs kick lately...so of course we went straight in to drawing Smurfette, Papa Smurf, and all the other little blue fellas.
A short while later, the food arrived and I went about the same old routine that we all know and don't love in the least bit...get the meter out, load the strip, cock the lancet device, poke cleaned finger, squeeze for blood, catch blood on strip, wait for the countdown, and bada bing bada boom there it is. We are using the Animas Ping pump, so we have the fantabulous meter that also doubles as a remote for bolusing! Love that little thing! It's a far better multi-tasker than I am...it is like my right hand man...my compadre...my BFF. So, I'm sitting there pointing the remote in Emma's general direction while the bolus is being given and the waitress happens to walk by and sees me. She wasn't going to our table. She was just walking by to another table and she literally stared at the meter and I like we were aliens from another planet. She did one of those blatantly obvious straining your neck to continue staring as you walk by pretending not to stare manuevers. Her mouth was hanging open...her eyes could not have possibly been any more open.
Instead of getting irked or annoyed by this display in front of me...I suddenly started having a giggle fit. I couldn't help it...the look on her face was priceless! Well, we enjoyed the rest of our dinner. I SWAGged to the best of my ability and didn't do the greatest job at it...but oh well..ya win some ya lose some. I left the restaurant wondering what this waitress probably thought I was doing. I am so oblivious to my surroundings after having done this for 3 years now. If we are out in public, I just do it...I bolus, I check BG's, I gave needles pre-pump. I never really paid much attention to what the people around me were thinking if they saw. I mean I really honestly don't care what they think...good, bad, or indifferent...I'm still gonna do what I need to do to make sure Emma is ok regardless of where we are...but I am just curious as to what runs through their minds.
As a side note, thank you all for the comments on my last post! Michelle, it was like you crawled right in my head and totally understood what I was thinking. LOVE it! Val- I used to live in Medford Oregon actually...about 4 hours from Portland if I remember correctly. If I ever get my bum back that way to visit my friends, I would LOVE to try and meet up with ya!! I miss Oregon A LOT! It's so beautiful there! and as always Reyna and Jo- love you two! thank you for the encouragement in trying to help my little perfectionist ease up on herself.

3 comments:

  1. ha ha... you said bum! You are soooooo Canadian!

    We just went to the Macaroni Grill tonight, where you can also draw on the tables. I would have rather had steak though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never noticed any looks when I test in public...though truthfully I don't pay attention to other people and just go about my biz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too...I don't really notice the "looks" anymore either. I would have had a "giggle-fit" too though if I had seen someone struggling so hard to see what was going on at our table with "D". It is kind of funny.

    My sister was a huge Smurfs fan. I am excited to take the kids to see the movie. I hope they like it...and I love the Macaroni Grill Jo!

    ReplyDelete