Thursday, October 7, 2010

not just your average dietician

I just want to talk about how lucky I am to have met Nicole our dietician at the hospital. I remember the day Emma was diagnosed and how overwhelming it was with all of the information they threw at us. I never thought I would be able to remember everything I was supposed to know to take care of my daughter and her diabetes. Nicole took the time to write out a timeline for me of what I needed to do everyday. Nicole has definitely been there for us more than any other person really. I honestly don't know what I would do without her. She has gone above and beyond so many times for us and I hope that she knows how greatful I am. Not only has she answered all of my random questions about diabetes like how many carbs are in a santa claus melon...but she has also been there to help me figure out Emma's blood sugar patterns and change ratios when needed. She is always there for us. When Emma was sick and admitted to the hospital back in May, Nicole came to visit her in the ER and brought Emma a stuffed toy, some crayons, and pictures to color. She stayed with me for a while and just talked. Anytime I have ever been frustrated or worried about Emma's health in the future and wondering if I am doing all that I should be doing to make sure she is healthy, Nicole always puts it back into perspective for me and makes me feel better. Emma adores her as well. She talks to Emma like she is a person...not just another kid sitting there. I love that Emma has her to relate to because she was diagnosed at 4 as well. She is a great role model for Emma. I don't know that she even realizes how amazing she is.
I think that things happen for a reason. We meet people for a reason. As horrible as diabetes is...I know that I never would have met Nicole otherwise. I am greatful for that. I am greatful to have met someone so caring, understanding, funny, and positive. Living in this crazy world of diabetes, it is comforting to know that my daughter and I will always have someone like Nicole to count on. I hope that one day I can find the right words to explain to her how much she means to us.

1 comment:

  1. I think you've just found the words!... Either find a way to send this blog to Nicole electronically, or print it and send it to her. I am certain, without a doubt, that she will have tears while reading it!

    ReplyDelete