Monday, March 17, 2014

It's a big deal

Diabetes is a big deal...it's serious...it shouldn't be brushed off as just some random disease that can easily be managed thru diet and exercise. It's hard...harder than anything I've ever encountered in my entire life.

Type 1 diabetes AND type 2 diabetes are difficult. I've come across quite a few people in my life that are living with type 2 and it saddens me to see how little information they are given about their disease...how they seem to be tossed out on their own and given some pills and a meter and expected to just handle it. I have come across so many that ignore it...pretend like it just doesn't matter and that they will be fine regardless. The D-Mom in me wants to take their hand and do it all for them...lay out the daily plan and help them figure everything out...but I can't...because it's not my place to do so.

It bothers me sometimes that one day my child will be an adult...and people may assume that she is type 2 as opposed to type 1....because I know many still believe that type 2's bring this disease upon themselves through poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle. It bothers me to know that she may be judged because of this. Diabetes is hard regardless of the type you have. Balancing all of the different variables every second of every day to achieve a safe and happy medium is nearly impossible.

Don't brush this disease off....dont assume that it's easily managed...don't judge...it's not right and it's not fair. If you happen to meet a person living with diabetes...type 1 or type 2...take a second to recognize that while yes...there's a difference between the two...they both have struggles...they both are fighting for that optimal balance.

I have a constant inner battle between making it appear easy because i dont want pity and i dont want my child to feel inhibited by it.......and making people realize that it truly is difficult....because it is.

After nearly six years of living with diabetes in my house, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment