Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Dance dance dance

Sometimes it's not about diabetes. Sometimes "typical" things happen during the day that remind me why being a Mom is the best job on the planet.

Since February, Emma and a group of kids from her school have been learning different dances so that they can perform them at a Folk Dance Festival...which happens to be tomorrow evening. They've practiced twice a week at lunch time and worked really hard to learn the routines. Emma isn't a kid that likes all eyes on her...she doesn't like too much attention focused on her....BUT she does love to dance. She was hesitant to sign up to be a part of this because of  the performance...but I encouraged her to give it a try seeing as how she enjoys dancing so much.

Despite all the extra work she's had to put in with making sure her blood sugars were ok...despite the fact that she has had to listen to her body and pay extra attention to potential lows on top of learning these routines....she's rocked it.

To say I'm proud of her tenacity would be an understatement. She wanted to do something that she likes to do...and even though it made her nervous...she did it anyway. That takes guts. That takes courage. That takes dedication.

As a Mom, I see her making these choices and my heart swells. It makes me feel like no matter what life throws at her, she will be just fine.

If there's one thing diabetes has taught me over the years, it's that fear is not necessarily always a bad thing. Sometimes...just sometimes, fear can be the most powerful motivator. If you are able to grab ahold of that fear and that self doubt and the nerves that seem to fight you for control, you can use them to accomplish anything. Fear can push you through the moments that bring you to your knees.

If there's one thing my daughter has taught me over the years, it's that nothing should stop you from reaching your goals and achieving your dreams. Nothing. Not fear...not diabetes...nothing.

When I'm sitting in the stands tomorrow evening watching my daughter dance, I will be focused on her eyes...so I can see the nerves and the excitement and the pride in herself for accomplishing something that was important to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment