Saturday, July 6, 2013

Guilty Pleasures

Today was far from a good diabetes day. It's gotten to the point where I'm starting to question whether or not someone has snuck in and somehow switched out the insulin in her pump with water...just to have a little laugh at my expense. Perhaps I'm being filmed on one of those stupid reality practical joke TV shows. Maybe Tom Bergeron or Ashton Kutcher will jump out from behind the chair and fill me in soon. It is what it is though...and I tried my best.

I don't want to talk about diabetes in this post though...I want to talk about something much different...something a little embarrassing...something I don't freely admit to many. While I was sitting on the couch tonight...pouting and having a little pity party about the shit show that was this day....I turned on the TV and there was Jennifer Lopez and Matthew Mc-what's his name in "The Wedding Planner." My guilty pleasure is romantic comedies...especially those starring Jennifer Lopez and/or Matthew Mc-what's his name. I love them. They are easy to watch....simple movies that don't require a whole lot of thought to follow...movies where you could leave the room for a minute to go make yourself a tea and come back and still be able to follow the storyline. There are crazy antics and sometimes ridiculous acting...but by the end of the movie, you always know that everything will work out...they will find love together and ride off into the sunset on the back of a Moped..

Guilty pleasures are sometimes the only things that help me make it through an awful day with diabetes. Be it romantic comedies....listening to Adam Lambert's "Whataya Want From Me?"...eating chocolate syrup straight from the bottle....or even sometimes taking out Emma's box of 64 crayons and colouring a picture in her Littlest Pet Shop colouring book. These things all might seem silly or weird to some....but some days they are all that I've got...some days they are the only thing that will silence the screaming loud unfair numbers bouncing around in my head. Some days, these things are all I have to distract myself from the reality that has been in my face all day long.

Guilty pleasures are a good thing. What guilty pleasures do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment