Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sometimes it's just about respect

So I thought I'd share a moment in our life with diabetes for those of you that don't live this life. I had to take Emma to the doctor today to get a booster shot for the chicken pox vaccination. While sitting in the waiting room, an elderly couple walked in. There was only one empty chair available...and instead of being a gentleman...the husband took it...leaving his wife to stand there waiting. I stood up and offered her my seat because my Momma raised me right and taught me to have a little respect for my elders. She graciously accepted the seat.

I pulled out Emma's blood sugar meter and gave it to her to test before we got called in because we have been battling high blood sugars today and I was trying to keep some semblance of control over them during this highly stressful time for her. While Emma was checking, another patient got called in, leaving an empty seat. Before I could take even a single step forward to go sit down in it...the elderly woman jumped up and pranced over to sit down. I didn't think anything of it...until I saw the look of disgust on her face. She was directing it towards Emma and I....she was disgusted at the fact that Emma was checking her blood sugar in the seat next to her. I don't know if it was the blood...or the fact that she figured out that Emma is diabetic...but whatever the case may be...it disgusted her.

I have encountered many ignorant people in my life....especially people ignorant about diabetes...but this one stunned me. I had just politely given up my seat for her....and she returned the favor by behaving like this. It hurt. I was angry. I was upset. But I didn't say a word.

Do you want to know why I didn't say a word? Because Emma was oblivious to the entire thing. I didn't want her to know that this ignorant behaviour had just occurred right in front of her. I didn't want her to feel the hurt I felt. I didn't want her to feel ashamed or embarassed. I didn't want her to feel different.

Diabetes isn't all about blood and needles and food and exercise.

Sometimes it's about understanding...and acceptance...and respect.

2 comments:

  1. good for you for holding your tongue...I know it was hard to do! don't know if I would have been able to
    the stupidity of some people is just unbelievable.
    so glad our kiddos are almost always oblivious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I don't know if I could have kept my mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete