Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Freaky Friday!!...er wait...I mean Monday!!

Maybe it's because yesterday was my birthday and in 6 days it will be my daughters birthday, but I have been thinking a lot about that movie "Freaky Friday." I remember the original version with Jodi Foster that I saw for the first time back in the olden days when my main concern  was who I was going to play with outside and if we could get enough money off of our parents to buy some candy. I have also seen the newer-ish version with Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis, which my daughter now loves to watch as well. I know in that version the Mom and daughter are eating dinner at a Chinese food restaurant and wind up reading the fortunes in their cookies which somehow have a spell on them that switches the Mom and daughter the following morning. Well, as I stated in my last post...we ate at a Chinese restaurant for my birthday last night too. When it came time for the fortune cookies at the end of the meal, I sat there thinking how fantastic would it be if the whole "Freaky Friday" movie concept could actually be a reality. I could go back to being a 6 yr old kid again...spending my days in first grade...playing with toys, getting carried places when my legs got too tired to walk out at the store, getting super stoked when someone decides to take me to Dairy Queen for some ice cream. Ahh...all of that would be so cool! However, I would really only want to make that switch for one main reason...to have my daughter be able to switch to a body that has a functioning pancreas. So she could have diabetes removed from her life...letting her be carefree and eat what she wants...when she wants. I would do anything for that. As I sit here thinking about it though, I am 99.9% positive that Emma would not want to make the switch (can't say that I blame her really!)...what 6 yr old would all of the sudden want to become 34?? Even with the knowledge that she would no longer be the diabetic one, I think she would choose NOT to make the switch. She is a very independant and strong willed girl which makes me happy. I like the fact that she will stand up for herself and what she thinks is right. I think diabetes has made her more tough than she normally would have been and that is a good thing.
In any case, we ate our fortune cookies...read our fortunes...and not a single thing happened. I am still me, and she is still herself. On a side note, I would like to mention that as usual my wish when blowing out the candles is for a cure. So if later on today, Anderson Cooper comes on CNN and announces a cure has been found...you are all welcome... ;o)

3 comments:

  1. lol-I would definitely be saying thanks. I know how you feel! I also know that this has made our girls stronger than we could have ever tried to teach them to be. It's just in them to be tough! Now I am gonna be watching CNN the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely the best blog I have ever read. Mine is a close second.

    ReplyDelete