Thursday, November 4, 2010

Irony and pancreas sharing

I sometimes wish that I could share my pancreas with Emma...I am hypoglycemic, which means that I have a tendency to have low blood sugar. I find it a bit ironic that my pancreas produces too much insulin and my daughter's produces none. It's a bit of a slap in the face to be honest. I wish there was a way for me to give her half of my pancreas and take half of hers...together we would make a fully functioning normal pancreas...lol. Irony is a jerk sometimes. It's ironic that for years I have had issues with insomnia...and now I have a child with diabetes which causes me to be up at odd hours of the night to check blood sugars. It's ironic that in my early 20's I worked as a telemarketer for non-profit organizations like public radio and PBS and I was HORRIBLE at it...I hated having to ask people for money...and now a lot of the time I go around trying to get people to help support Emma with her fundraisers for JDRF. It's ironic that for years I didn't have a doctor and never went to the hospital because i lived in the states and I had no health insurance...and now since diabetes i feel like i am always visiting doctors or hospitals for clinic appointments. It's ironic that I really am a shy person who doesn't particularly like talking to strangers or being the center of attention...and now since diabetes I have to speak up and talk talk talk about it to bring awareness. It's ironic that I personally don't have the greatest self-esteem and I have a tendency to doubt myself and my decisions...and now I worry and spend most of my time trying to build up Emma's self-esteem and make sure she believes in herself. Like I said before...irony is a jerk. I find it weird how things always seem to come full circle and balance out. Makes me wonder though about what I am doing now and how it will affect things later on down the road. I hope there's not too much more irony...i think i've had my fill of it...lol. After typing this blog now, all I can hear in my head is that Alanis Morisette song...isn't it ironic don't ya think?

2 comments:

  1. Came across your blog frpm another Dmom's you commented on. My son is 5 1/2 and was diagnosed 2 years ago. In addition to most of the things you mentioned here, I also have a HUGE fear of needles...talk about ironic!! Well, nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to "meet" you too Denise! My daughter is 6 1/2 and was diagnosed when she was 4. :o)

    ReplyDelete