Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sometimes I think my kid belongs in a loony bin!

There must be something in the air today. Emma and I drove to school (well, technically I was the one driving...just thought I would clarify...no, I do not let my 7 year old drive the car yet...lolol) and as we rounded the path to the back playground of the school where everyone lines up...we were immediately confronted with a load of students running around like crazy people screaming and laughing...arms flailing, backpacks flying...pure chaos! Not to be outdone, my child decided to join in the fun and apparantly have a morning sprint with some friends and sream at the top of her lungs. At first I thought it was pretty funny...there I was standing (with most of the other adults) off to the side...bleary eyed, half alseep, wishing I had a cup of coffee in me already...watching the lunatic children as if they were caged animals at the zoo who had finally figured out a way to escape and take over the place. Once I got my bearings about me though, I started to worry...this is completely not normal behavior for my kid this early in the morning...is this going to cause a low blood sugar before lunchtime? I had given her the exact same breakfast as yesterday...the exact same insulin...everything was all good...all set for a repeat performance of yesterdays numbers please and thank you. Well, all of this extra morning activity certainly threw a monkey wrench into my master plan! Who came up with that cliche by the way? Who would ever throw an actual monkey wrench into something other than a typically violent individual who most certainly must be a little off their rocker? HA! There's another funny cliche or phrase..."off their rocker"...lolol...I love cliches!
Anyhoo, I've gotten off topic and a little distracted by my cliche extravanganza again....so, there I stood watching my loony tunes daughter and the rest of the kids, wondering what I should do. I could have pulled her aside and told her to stop running around...or I could have pulled her aside and made her eat a little something before the bell rang...or I could just let it go and see what happens because she usually has a tendency to run on the higher side in the mornings anyway. I chose option 3.
I should have listened to my gut though once again...I should have given her something extra to eat because when I picked her up for lunch she was only 2.6. Live and learn I suppose! I don't know why I'm not really bothered by this low...why I'm not more nervous for the afternoon numbers seeing as how her ratios and correction factors at lunch worked out to her not needing ANY insulin at all...but I'm not worried. I don't have that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's just not there. It's times like these that make me really believe that we have some sort of guardian angel up there watching us and making sure things go as smoothly as possible. Maybe it's just my Mommy instincts kicking in? Maybe it's the angel? Either way...I'm feeling ok with the whole day. Can't wait to see if the girl is still off her rocker this afternoon when I pick her up at the end of the day....should make for an interesting evening in any case!

2 comments:

  1. I hear you. Sometimes Joe takes up dancing in the mornings with Bridget...sometimes it makes a difference and drives him low...sometimes it doesn't during his insulin resistant post-breakfast spike.

    Love the Guardian Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 words - full moon. hahaha. kids all go nutso. re: the cliches, i mentioned to someone about 'resting on my laurels'. i was seriously wondering what that meant. i googled it - then i realised i have no idea what a laurel bush is and neither would i have a need to sit on laurel branches/leaves/mats, so alas im losing that saying...

    ReplyDelete